Saturday, August 8, 2009

Singapore 360 - Day 3: Bicycles

This is one of the photos we took during our visit to the National Museum. The bikes on display must be several decades old.

Nowadays, bicycles are still a common thing here in Singapore. A lot of people have one, I do too.

For a number of Singaporeans, bicycles are not just for exercising during weekends. They're a major mode of transportation, just as they are in other countries. Many would drive their bikes from their houses to the nearest MRT station, chain them to the metal racks on the parking slots, and take the train to their work. Coming home from work, they simply revise the process.

Biking on the major roads are not allowed as no bike lanes are provided. Although I know of a very few people who do bike from their homes to their offices. If you find one biking along a major thoroughfare, he has to be a foreigner. I just don't see bike-sharing, which is being done in other countries happening here in Singapore anytime soon.

I've observed that some parking slots have been improved over the last couple of years. Maybe in the future they will be improved enough to keep the bikes protected from rain.

***

Some links about bike-sharing worth visiting:
Bike-sharing Blog
Wikipedia - Bicycle Sharing Syste
At Summer Streets, Experiments in Bike Sharing

Here's a similar post on Tales Over Coffee, brought to my attention by the author:
Two Tiered Bicycle Stands

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 9, 2009 at 1:24 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

I actually wrote a similar post to this one.

http://talesovercoffee.blogspot.com/2009/05/two-tiered-bicycle-stands_10.html

People do bike quite a lot here, and it's impressive how they're upgrading the parking spots for them near the MRT stations and shopping areas.

My wife and I used to have bicycles as well, but mine was stolen and hers fell apart, so we gave what was left of it away.

We'll be leaving Singapore in about half a year or so I figure, so there's no sense in replacing them. It's a shame too, because there are so many places to ride, like the parks.

Oh, and I have seen people that look like locals riding their bikes along major roads in Pasir Ris, despite the fact that there were sidewalks available and the fact that there was heavy traffic. It was along Drive 1. Maybe you're familiar with it?

Ah, and hope you don't mind me dropping that link here.

 
At August 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM , Blogger Singapore Fountain Pen said...

Hey, similar indeed! And I like your post too. I've actually edited the post to refer to your link.

I confess I haven't used my bike as often as I intended. I'm more into running these days. Good thing my brother was here for about four months and got to use it almost everyday or it would have served better as a paper weight or a cap holder.

Yes, I'm familiar with Pasir Ris Drive 1 but I haven't observed people riding their bikes there. Maybe I'll get a chance to take one or two photos of them in the near future. :D

 
At August 9, 2009 at 3:26 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

Funny. My wife and I went for a 3 hour walk through Pasir Ris Park tonight, and we did a bit of jogging as well. I love living in this area.

 
At August 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

Oh and by the way, thanks for the mention in your post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home